Saturday, November 6, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Childhood, Saying Goodbye to NU

It's been years since I've had my radio on for hours. The last time I had it on, I was listening to the same station, crying over a stupid boy.


I'm streaming NU 107 now, and I feel like crying over a radio station. 


It's so hard to say goodbye to the first radio station I fell in love with.  NU provided me with the soundtracks to my failed romances, my Christmases and epic New Years, my sleepless nights spent and wasted studying for exams (and doing lesson plans). It's going to be awfully lonely come New Year's Eve, when I won't have NU to countdown with.


I can still remember the angsty teenage me--listening to Nine Inch Nails, Silverchair and Stabbing Westward. It was strange to be happy because you were angry.  I guess you're allowed to be angry when you're young.  How sad to realize that this generation's angsty teenagers won't be listening to the same bands that made hating the world less violent and less emo. 


I can also remember college days, when I'd listen to NU right after I got home from school. I was pretty updated with the local bands during that time.  It made falling in love hardcore.  The best dates were spent in PULP parties and gigs--all of which we knew because of NU.  Sugarfree, Imago, Barbie's Cradle, Mojofly.  I remember thinking how they knew exactly how I was feeling at that time. Holy crap, they all started with NU--no matter what the other radio stations say. Who's going to give a chance to new bands, now?


I remember finally stepping into the real world and feeling shitty, scared, excited at the same time. I guess you know what I was listening to before my job interviews.


They have Ebe of Sugarfree on air now. For the last time. I can still remember when not too many people knew about Sugarfree. And I did. Because of NU. 


He's singing Moon River now. My ultimate sad song. 


I will miss you NU 107 when you sign off forever. You will always be loved and remembered.

1 comment:

  1. I'm saddened for you. I could feel your pain and sadness over thisl, while reading your post. It's almost like losing a pet, friend, or a family member. So sad.

    Btw, Moon River is one of my favorite songs.

    Best wishes,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete